A highlight in an otherwise wearisome 2020 was our local real estate market with home sales soaring. With a lack of homes on the market, because most were scooped up in the spring and summer, now is a great time to put your home on the market. There is still an increasing demand from buyers who delayed purchasing homes because of the pandemic. Many younger parents still need larger spaces to accommodate working from home and children attending school virtually. So, if you want to sell and sell fast, listen up. My team and I have been preparing homes for sale for over a decade. To sell a home, it basically takes 7 steps:
- Find an exceptionally good real estate agent with an excellent company to support you and them, like Compass.
- Price your home to sell to generate multiple offers.
- Set a realistic timeline for work to be done and for you to decide your next move.
- Consider getting a home inspection BEFORE listing to keep the sale moving forward faster. Prices run from $500-$2000. Any savvy buyer will request one and will want repairs addressed.
- The most important step is to DECLUTTER/PURGE/STORE your items in every area of the house. No one wants to look at your “stuff”. The clearer, the better.
- Paint. Painting rooms is essential to getting top dollar. Potential buyers want a clean slate. Period.
- Stage your house with either all new stylish furnishings from our warehouse, or we can create a blend. I like to use some of their things and bring in some fresh items. Curb appeal it with flowers or by painting the front door an eye-popping color.
Start with a Covid safe broker/public open house on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and again on that Sunday. Only letting in one group at a time. You cannot sell a house unless folks can get in to see it! They will come and you will sell. Need help with these steps? “I can take you from the declutter to the close!” Call me, I can get you there for less money and less time. 203 984 7653.
Amy owns Clearedspaces.com and is a Compass Realtor in Westport, CT.