- Determine what to keep
- Keep records retention guidelines in mind
- Some papers can be tossed IMMEDIATELY (Don’t forget to shred documents that contain personal information.)
- Stash important documents in safety deposit boxes or a home safe TODAY.
Here are step by step tips for the one week countdown prior to Christmas (or any other major holiday)!
7 days out – gather and wash holiday plates, bowls, platters for the big feast
6 days out – make room in the fridge for holiday dishes
5 days out – wash sheets, towels and face cloths where guests will be staying and stack in their room
4 days out – vacuum and dust upstairs
3 days out – clean all bathrooms – the master last
2 days out – vacuum and dust downstairs (clean kitchen thoroughly)
1 day out – empty trash…..do a last minute de-cluttering trip through the house with a black garbage bag
(Hide clutter bag until all guests have left the building)
Here are four ways to add more space in their closet:
- Look for unused space above or below and put up a new shelf or a rod
- Use the back of your doors for hanging pockets or a slack rack
- Add a small chest of drawers in an awkward nook
- Think outside the closet and add an armoire in your room for extra storage
Spend only 10 minutes per chore (changing sheets, folding laundry, doing dishes). Use a timer and when it goes off, stop and go onto the next one. You can finish the chore later in the day, i.e. after work. Better yet, get the hubby or kids to chip in. (spouses and children are trainable!)
You will see that you can speed up the process if you focus on it and do it swiftly…..it really helps save time and energy!
Get rid of any object you describe by saying “I would use that if…” or “I used to use that, but….” That means you do not use it. Look around your home and clear the clutter this year.